Tuesday, December 7, 2010

May 2010, The cast






Well May 2010 was a very interesting month. I got a call at work from Erich saying that Owen may have hurt his leg. Erich told me that Owen was crying and wouldn't walk on his right leg. I asked if his leg was swollen or seemed broken. Erich told me that he didn't think it was. I told him to give him some ibuprofen to see if that would help. Well Owen did stop crying after a while but he still would not walk on his leg. I told Erich to bring him down to Lakeview ER to get checked out. Well sure enough he had a broken ankle. They told me it was not bad but he would need a cast. They had to cast his entire right leg even though it was only at the ankle. They told me that the wanted to make sure it was stable and for his age that had to cast him up to his groin. Of course as a parent you feel horrible knowing your 18 month old has to wear a huge cast for the next 4 weeks. At first Owen hated the cast he couldn't walk, he even tried to crawl and he couldn't do it. It only took him about 2 or 3 days and he was walking about. He even started running with the cast.

The sad part about the cast is we had been planning a trip to disneyland for the past 2 years and we were going at the end of may. I was praying for Owen to get his cast off before the trip. I wanted him to enjoy Disneyland and the beach and everything that goes along with going to California. The friday before we left for Disneyland, I asked the Dr. if we could get the cast off. He didn't really want to take it off since it was 3 days shy of the 4 weeks the Dr wanted. But the Dr agreed to take and xray and if it looked good then he would take the cast off. Well the xray looked great and the cast came off right in time for the trip. Little did I know how hard it would be for little Owen to walk on his new leg since he had a not used it for 4 weeks. It took a long time for him to start walking normal again, like 3 or 4 weeks. But he got there and now he doesn't stop running.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

He looked so cute with his cast on! I didn't even think about the fact that it would take him time to remember how to walk without the cast. My Mom had a cast when I was a kid and had to do quite a bit of physical therapy to get everything working properly again.

Michelle D said...

Yeah an update :) It's so fun to see cute pictures of Owen and how much he has grown.

KALLI said...

I am so glad you are back to blogging. :) It is fun to see pics of cute Owen. I want to take our boys to Disneyland so bad. I bet Owen loved it even with a bad leg.